Weekend Update
Had a relaxing one. Rick and Geoff took us to see the Manchurian Candidate, and we introduced them to the yummy Chicago style pie at Rocco's. Rocco's, which changes it's sign weekly, no longer has my favorite 'Vote Guilty in November' up, but has been replaced by a tribute to Rick James.
The update of the Manchurian Candidate was pretty satisfying. It kept many of the elements of the original. You could tell the people who hadn't seen the 1962 film, because they gasped at things like the mother doing the mind control. Meryl is great in this, and she plays the roll in a different tone than Landsbury, which was a good choice. The 'twist' really isn't that shocking, but instead actually makes sense. A good watch.
And thanks to a revived subscription to Netflix, we also have the original at hand to watch this week. Finally got around to seeing Mystic River as well. I like Lehane's books, and the movie looked promising. It has been long enough since I read the book that I couldn't quite remember who the killer was until about halfway through. Sean Penn and Tim Robbins acted the hell out of it.
Not much excitement, but plenty of rest. And laundry.
Claudia


2 Comments:
About Mystic River, I too liked the acting but not the story so much. You?
Also, do you recommend Netflix? Any condition?
Well, I had read the book a couple of years ago. I seem to recall not liking it as well as his detective series. I remember that the ending gave me a real disastisfied feeling, and the movie did that a little too. However, I liked the addition of the bit where Jimmy replies to Sean's question about the last time he saw Dave by saying something like 'The last time I saw Dave Boyle was through the back windshield of a car, pulling away from us.' That isn't the answer he gives in the book, and I thought that was well done.
Netflix: We did Netflix for a while, and then we just weren't using it as much so we stopped. Now that a bunch of new box sets are out though, I'm glad to have it again. We really liked it last time. We do the 3-out plan, where you can have as many as 3 DVDs out at any time, and there is no monthly limit, plus you can keep them as long as you like. They are pretty quick on turnaround, and the only time we ever had a shipping snafu, they were very nice about it
You return the disks in a prepaid sleeve, so there's no extra shipping to pay either.
Post a Comment
<< Home