Claudia's Garden Journal and Assorted Thoughts

Friday, December 31, 2004

Transitions

So, it's New Year's Eve. I'm doing laundry for the trip tomorrow, getting my house cleaned up for the gathering tonight, and trying to decide whether it's worth thinking about the year gone by. Mostly, I think it's better to think about the year ahead.

Why's that? Because here's what I remember most about 2004. It was a year that got me pumped up, thinking this country might become a better place. It was a year that dashed those hopes completely, and continues to punch me in the gut every few days. It was the year I gained a new-found respect for Amy Goodman. It was a year where I saw some smart, promising young adults get their high school diplomas; it was a year I saw smart, promising kids kicked out of yet another school. I got out of my gym routine and my yoga practice, so while I'm holding steady, I'm not shedding any more. I have good memories from the year. I had a wonderful trip to Vegas with my husband, I got to see some old friends on business trips, I impressed my doctor with the amount of weight I dropped in a year, I discovered I can make mole. But unfortunately, I think it's the disappointments that will linger.

So, what to do about it? Make resolutions for next year, of course.
1. Get back to a routine at the gym, four days a week, every week.
My body will thank me, and I'll feel better about myself. I can't believe how much my stress level drops when I spend an hour working out.

2. Revive my yoga practice.
Thanks to my wonderful husband, I've now got a great insentive to find another serious teacher and get my practice back on track. I miss the feeling of awareness it brings, and I want that back. Plus, since the tiling of the library I have the perfect place for daily work. No excuses left.

3. Eat out less, way less.
We have a weird disconnect on this, both Jon and myself. We'll aggonize over treating ourselves to a $10 iTunes spree. But going out for a $25 dinner? Sure, let's go! We've got to reel it in. We're going to plan better, I'm going to fret less about using semi-premade foods (it's okay to use bottled sauces and curry noodle kits, Claudia), I'm going to keep more shrimp in the freezer.

4. Get involved!
I can't do anything more at this point about who's in the Oval Office. So I'll do what I can for what I believe in. Reproductive health and choice are under attack, public education is increasingly a mess, and racist vigilantes disguising themselves as 'patriots' pull resources away from real problems my state faces. In my younger days, I found enourmous satisfaction in volunteering. It's time to pick a project or two and get back to that as well.

To everyone, may the new year bring you much happiness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home