Three Weeks and Counting


So, we've made it to the three week mark and Fiona is now gaining weight like a champ. Reglan did nothing for me so I am now giving fenugreek a chance. The lactation people highly recommend it and while it hasn't been FDA-approved it turns out there are actual studies on it from places like Duke. I'm already seeing a (very) slight increase after one day, so I'm not letting myself get my hopes up but maybe it will work.
My father was here for a brief visit, meeting his first grandchild. I realized when he was making travel plans that I hadn't seen him in five years. When you haven't seen a parent in five years, that parent will have aged a bit. I also watched my first ever episode of American Idol because my father is a huge fan. I am not converted.
Speaking of TV, bless the DVR. I still manage to watch my various shows like Gilmore Girls (although, maybe not any more after the horrifying turn this season took), Smallville (and how incredibly SAD that friggin' Smallville had a better season than the Gilmores?), TAR, Big Love, and Lost. Jon and I have fallen way behind on 24 though. Most of my television viewing now takes place during Fiona's 1am-ish and 4am-ish feedings, which goes a long way to explaining why the show we usually watch together is getting left behind. Fiona has somehow managed to be napping when the Sopranos comes on; such a cooperative kid.
Actually, we're really lucky. Fiona seems to have inherited her father's infant temperament. Jon was apparently an ideal baby. I.... was not. Fiona only gets fussy when she's hungry, she has air in her tummy, or the evil lab techs at the pediatrician poke her with needles. I'm getting regular 2 to 3 hour naps and I really can't complain that she sometimes wants to stay up and play with mama after her 4am feeding. I'll also never forget the exhausting but flattering first night in the hospital. She absolutely would not abide not being held by mommy. Even to go to the bathroom I had to endure a heartbreaking crying jag that would end only when she was back in my arms. After being up for 24 hours I gave up and just held her while I slept. Maybe since she was a week early she wasn't ready for the separation. Anyway, she's thankfully not like that now, but in some ways that first night was pretty sweet.


2 Comments:
beautiful, beautiful baby. It makes my uterus skip a beat.
Thanks. Apparently, she's having that effect on lots of people. Good to know my offspring are so powerful :)
Post a Comment
<< Home