Weekend Update
So, had some excitement this weekend. It started off nice with a trip to Zach's with my husband for pizza. Good food, great conversation, a really good way to start off. We got a call that the crib had arrived, so we planned to go on Saturday and pick it up.
Which we did. But Saturday got off to a rather more exciting start than expected. I let Bess out for her morning romp and a while later I heard a big crash outside. I ran into the AZ room to see what was up, looked out the door to my back porch, and ... bobcat! Sitting comfy as you please on the porch ledge next to the cactus.
Luckily, there is another door to the back, which I ran to and called Bess in from. Thankfully Bess was wise enough to have stayed far far away from the big beast in the backyard. I hollered and it loped back over the fence (which is 8 feet high, but they can jump 12. eep). Now, Bess is really too big to make a snack for a bobcat unless it's real desperate, but obviously she get could really messed up if it attacked her. I called Fish and Game, alerted the neighbors, etc. But for now the strategy is just to make sure things are clear out there before she goes out. Bess herself now cautiously scouts around the yard for a moment before she gets down to business. Sunday I did some cleanup out there and also planted some salvia to replace some poppies that gotten eaten by bunnies. I have finally found plants that can survive our western exposure and my little flower garden looks pretty nice right now. We won't live in fear of our own yard, but we'll certainly be more alert back there for a while.
Our wonderful friend Keith helped us construct the crib yesterday. It wasn't difficult exactly, but it did end up taking all three of us to get it balanced and whatnot. Now it has a mattress, pad, sheets, and is ready for Baby. There are a half dozen other things we need to set up over the course of this week. Today it is back to the office where I will hopefully have enough energy to get through the day.


3 Comments:
Bring on the baby! There's nothing like a freshly assembled crib that makes you want to fill it with tiny fingers and toes.
And that bobcat story...you are so much more braver than I for even attempting at opening up a door to the backyard WHILE PREGNANT!
I've been visiting with some friends at this conference who now live in Tuscon (your's and Jon's recs were greatly appreciated!), and they've had some interesting wild life stories as well. A mountain lion lived on one guy's roof for a while. Crazy.
Well, I couldn't leave Bess out there to get hurt, and the second door is on the other side of the yard. If I had a mountain lion on my roof, I would be afraid to enter or exit my house. Yikes.
Post a Comment
<< Home