Claudia's Garden Journal and Assorted Thoughts

Monday, June 14, 2004

Lovely Weekend

The fantabulous season finale of Deadwood last night was a nice capper of a nice weekend. Spent lots of time with my husband, slashed up a lot of bad guys (see below), and still made time for my new gym.

Took in a movie, because we really felt like doing it again after our pleasant experience with Kill Bill 2. We drove over to one of the theatres with no idea of what we were going to see, and were debating various films until I saw the sign for Shrek 2. We enjoyed the first one, and the second one was also quite cute. I'm sure there are people who will complain that Far Far Away looked like Hollywood but sounded like Britain, or that some of the jokes were cheap shots, etc. Don't care. It was funny, and I don't expect profundity from Shrek. I wanted to be entertained, and I was. Particularly enjoyed the 'Cops' spoofing and Antonio Banderas's gleeful self-lampooning.

Worth Reading: TeeVee's 24 Misogyny Watch, Day 3. I am really going to miss Michelle next season. Maybe I can make my next super hero 'Agent Dessler.'


Ms Clawdia stands among a pile of recently vanquished foes, hooligans who dared try steal the purse of an innocent citizen of Paragon City. Posted by Hello

5 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Chad said...

Do you watch any other HBO shows? If so, how would you rate Deadwood against those? I watch Sopranos and Carnivale and have always wondered what other people though about the other shows, like Six Feet Under and Deadwood.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Claudia said...

Carnivale: I really got into this show; loved it. I know it is supposed to be renewed for a second season, but have no idea when that will air.

Sopranos: Okay, this would be why we sprang for HBO in the first place. I thought this season was a vast improvement over last season (which while it had it's moments, was really draggy. And I like Carm much better when she's cleverly getting around Tony than when she turns into a weepy mess). However, the goodness of Sopranos this season was nearly overshadowed by...

Deadwood, which is just some really good watching. Love, love, *love* Swearengen. There has rarely been a villian so brutally well-written and well-played. Bullock has also been fun to watch. I find Joannie and all Joannie-related subplots utterly boring, but considering how many other things are going on in any given episode, that's not a big problem. The Doctor is great too. His pray/rant to God last night about the priest and the Civil War was one of the best scenes I've watched in a long time.

So,um, yes, I like some HBO shows :)

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger richard said...

Thanks Chad for asking my question for me.

I liked Six Feet Under, but got a season behind and never caught up (stopped using Kazaa right about that time). It's a little bogged down and dreary, but really strong acting.

Clad to hear you enjoyed Carnivale. Mary and I really enjoyed it, but for much of the season I was under the impression that it was only a one season show. Which created some frustration for us with the seemingly slow pace with which they were advancing the mythology. Definitely looking forward to another season or two. Very much a graphic novel serial come to life.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Taylor said...

While we don't have any cable channel above 23 (and 18 of those are Austin public access), I do claim Sopranos is some of the best TV ever. That is mostly due to my obsession with the mob.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

Anyone who has access to HBO and didn't watch Deadwood, keep your eyes open for a rerun marathon. It really is some good watchin, esp if you have any interest in the Old West.

Taylor, it was our interest in Mob stories that got us into the Sopranos too. Our DVD collection is at this point mostly mob movies, Christopher Guest films, and PBS box sets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home