More Games
Today's Fox Trot has introduced another game that my husband and his friends can play.
One of the DHAKers was involved in a series of MSNBC articles on guilty pleasures. Their TV section did leave out what's becoming my guilty pleasure of choice, prime time soaps on Fox-owned networks. I was never a big fan of 90210 or Melrose; then and now, teenagers' dire dilemmas just didn't get me going. But this summer, Nip/Tuck is delivering deliciously campy drama. Last night's episode featured crying, violence, decades-old secrets revealed, a patient with fake stigmata, and baby-related trauma. In fact, all that was missing was the usual surprisingly graphic sex scenes. Realistic? Not in the slightest. But, damn, it's fun. And isn't that what guilty pleasure TV is all about?


5 Comments:
Brian: I hear you. Any suggestions on an affordable, sufficiently functioning DVR arrangement?
wow, cable. I've forgotten what it's like. Football season is going to be rough...
Brian and Heather, you guys are my heroes for putting in these hours. I decided not to teach again in the fall because I couldn't handle the extra hours, and you guys are putting in way more than I was then. I'm amazed by your fortitude.
And yes, I'd like some recs on a good DVR too.
I'm just using the one you can get from the cable company, for me that's Time Warner. Despite them being an evil empire, the DVR works quite well. It's about $10 a month if you already have a cable box, and if not, it's $18. With as much TV as Melissa and I watch, I don't know how we would ever live without it.
I always wanted a Tivo just cause, but last I checked in didn't work with digital cable which is a problem for me. Oh and the cable Tivo couldn't record two things at once, which actually now that I remember is the reason I ruled it out. Again that was then and it's been a while. The other downside of Tivo vs TW is that if they come up with a better system tomorrow I can just swap out the box, no extra charge. With Tivo I would have to buy a new one. Usually I am not a big fan of renting, which is what I am doing really, but with the rate of change in this industry, I think it works out.
Relating to the evil empire comment, I just wish I had a choice in cable companies. I don't feel they compete well with satellite and the cost just seems high. But I don't have a real good way to fix things. Though one idea I have is nifty. I want to own the data line from them to me. What do you think?
Chad, cable costs are truly absurd. Even with the 'package discount' for digital cable and internet, we pay a minor fortune for it. But, what are you going to do? Because you're right, there's really no true competition. Anyway, Cox does not have its DVR available in our area yet. But we might look into that once it's here instead of 'coming soon.'
Post a Comment
<< Home