Holy Crap!

This is a Variable Sand Snake (Chilomeniscus stramineus).
This was in my house last night.
Let me back up a minute.
There's more. If you thought the big pigs behind the gate were nifty, keep reading.
That was in my house last night, but before that, a scorpion, to be specific a Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion (it would have to be giant, wouldn't it?) went scampering across the floor of the den... which luckily can be closed off from the rest of the house. I discovered this around midnight. We hunted futilely for the thing for a while, carefully keeping the den closed off. We finally gave up and decided to take the recycling out (as it might attract the thing, allowing it to spring out fighteningly later).
Well, apparently taking out the trash left the opening for the happy little snake pictured above to come in to my house. More than a little tired, I walked past our entry way and wondered 'Did we get the dogs a new toy?' And then it moved. And then I jumped, and then Jon grabbed the thing with bbq tongs and tossed it back into the front yard.
So, filled to the brim with adrenaline, we finally tried to go to sleep. I've spent this morning tracking down someone who can help with the scorpion thing. I finally found someone, who should be on his way momentarily (or, in service industry terms... eh, sometime today).
Considering that my Saturday was intended to consist of looking for the ideal tile for the library, baking, and dinner with friends, this is considerably more excitement than I had bargained on for today. I fear my attack of the fits is only another Crocodile Hunter incident away.
Post Script: The pest guy was super nice, and only about 10 minutes late. He was unable to flush out the scorpion with his mega-toxic 'flush out' stuff, which means that it must have found another way out. Our den is now toxic to all animal life that weighs less than 10 lbs. Repeated vists from these folks should keep us scorpion-free and there is a nice barrier around the house now. I feel slightly less wigged out now.


4 Comments:
Ok, between the No-Tel Motel and the big hairy scorpions, I don't think I'm a little afraid to visit Arizona...its a little too untamed ;)
Heh, well, our house is less scary now. All the scary venomous things have been evicted. It really is a constant battle to keep the desert out of your house, and we were lax in reinforcing our shields. We should be a lot safer now.
well, I'm definately glad that the scary venomous things are no longer in your house...I don't think I would be able to sleep if I knew there was a giant hairy scorpion in my house (just a giant scorpion is only mildly scary, but you throw that "hairy" bit in and it strait out of a horror movie). I still feel a little hesitant to book a trip to the desert. ;)
The weird thing is (though it makes sense when you think about it), it is better to have the giant ones because they are less venomous than the little ones. Still, scary as all living get-out at 12:30 am. If the room he was in wasn't cut off from the rest of the house by a very firm door, I think we would have fled.
I'll try to post more things about why living in the desert is really great, because we love it here.
Post a Comment
<< Home