Claudia's Garden Journal and Assorted Thoughts

Monday, October 17, 2005

Watching, Reading, Viewing

I finally found something to read again. It's an interesting story so far, set in the Orthodox Jewish community in Memphis. Since my father was living in Memphis when he got religion (that's also where I was born and lived the first three years of my life) I have actually spent time in the synagouge described in the book, which is a neat touch. The author strikes a nice balance between not expecting the reader to be familiar with the traditions and not spending forever delving into explanations.

I also made another iTunes purchase, adding another Elliott Smith album to the collection, because my music library is just not quite depressing enough.


Desperate Housewives just gives me a headache any more. I think it's going on the trash bin for me pretty quick. One character made a comment a few weeks back that she and her husband are 'not nice people.' Dude, none of these people are nice. They're all increasingly either stupid, selfish, or both. And they aren't even deliciously bitchy, they are just bitchy. It's boring. Susan as a goofy spaz? Fun. Susan as a woman so desperate for nookie that she endangers her daughter and pays her boyfriend's psycho son to leave town? Not so cute. Seriously, when Gabby starts looking like the wisest character on the block? That is not good.

Looking forward to .... more improved Gilmore Girls episodes. I can't believe I am looking forward to the return of Jess, but I'm wondering what he's going to do. I already feel sorry for Christian based on the previews for next week's Nip/Tuck. My pal Ken and I have been commenting on how great a job the writers have done over the last season and this one of turning my sympathys upside-down as Christian becomes the sympathetic character and Sean just keeps backsliding away from any kind of remotely likeable person. And it looks like Lost will be nicely eerie this week. Plus, isn't James Marsters supposed to show up again on Smallville this week? Good stuff.

3 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm missing it but what's the title of the book?

I'm at the same place you are with Desparate Housewives. The writers have gotten lazy this year, going for the cheap laughs. Yvonne and I are completely disgusted with Lynette's storyline. It's simplistic and stupid. What an awful representation of women going back to work.

Unfortuately, last week's Gilmore Girls was a big snore. What were they thinking. Tonight is Rory's 21st birthday bash. With all the possibilities, this one better be good.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Chad said...

I at least prefer the Lynette goes back to work plotline over the Lynette is completely evil and coniving in every possible way as a stay at home mom plot line.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Claudia said...

The book is The Ladies Auxillary.

Unfortunately, Lynette is just kind of an asshole whether she's working or not. I think this is especially bad because the writers clearly intend her to be the character most watching women will identify with, and she's really just unpleasant in the extreme.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home