Claudia's Garden Journal and Assorted Thoughts

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Assorted Thoughts for Thursday

Last week I had to take a little trip to Dallas for a polygraph. Leaving Fiona behind was tough, but she and Jon did just fine without me. About the test itself, the less said the better. It was brutal, absurd, and I have filed an official complaint. This week I've been trying to get things organized at work and at home, because tomorrow Fiona and I head up to Seattle for my half-sister's bat mitzvah. I haven't been up there in about six years, and I'm not especially excited about going again. But the baby and the three days of parties should help things go quickly.

Jon is now the proud owner of hugondous television. I have to admit, the picture looks pretty good. The only problem is that channels that don't transmit in HD now look like poo. Our living room has now be rearranged and I like it much better. I still have to get the tree up though. That will be my chore when I return from Washington.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

5 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Chad said...

The non HD channels look bad? How so?

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Claudia said...

Pixelation. The television screen is very, very large. The pixels for nonHD become VERY visible on such a big screen. So instead of a nose, you get five flesh-colored blocks.

It sorta looks like everything is made of Lego.

*Most* channels do trasmit HD, but you can really tell the ones that don't.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Chad said...

I got ya. So theoretically from far enough away it would look OK?

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Claudia said...

Exactly.

So far our DVDs look pretty good. We haven't tried a wide range.

One thing that used to drive me crazy on a friend's tv is the 'squish' effect. You have to get the zoom level just right or everyone looks like they're in a fun-house mirror. And it's a different level depending on the channel, program, etc. So you have to prepare to do some adjusting when you change the channel.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Chad said...

I am so with you on that. My uncle-in-law stretches everything to fit the screen so all day long it short fat people. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home