Giant Ravings
So, we pay for all these extra digital channels that I usually forget we have (because we get Jon's football package in the fall and because I like having 10 HBO channels). One of these channels is Sundance which it never occurs to me to check. Last night though, Sundance grabbed my attention by kicking off a running of Gigantic just as I settled in to veg. It was absolutely... delightful. Now, obviously, I was wee in the early 80s, so I can't pretend I've been a big TMBG fan since their inception or anything, but since I got turned on to them in high school I've been following. There really isn't a band out there like them, not just in terms of sound, but also fan outreach, understanding of the potential 'e-music' explosion, and sheer size of catalog.
The documentary was extremely entertaining. One of the more bizarre things to me were the discussions of MTV, and how MTV used to be an opportunity for underground music to reach a wider audience. That's hard to remember now that MTV is basically 24 hours of shrieking TRL fans' hooting being played over the same 12 videos and hours of banal reality programs. Anyway, it was a real treat to watch and it means that I'll actually be paying attention to what Sundance Channel is showing from now on.


7 Comments:
Went to a TMBG show here in Austin not that long ago. I relly enjoyed it. Really only know the stuff from Flood that a friend got me into in high school, but I always liked their oh so odd style. Any one or two other albums you would recommend?
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
If forced to choose a favorite, I would probably go with Lincoln. You can't get 'Lincoln' by itself anymore except on iTunes but Then, which combines three early albums (including Lincoln) is a great starting point. John Henry and the more recent Mink Car are also great. Their kid's album 'No' is incredibly cute. Their website is a great place to check out their stuff. They have a radio show, an online Dial-a-Song, and a mailing list for free MP3s.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wow! Okay, blogger apparently went a little goofy with my comment.
Just popped back in to point out that Ms Spears now officially looks like someone who would have gone to my junior high.
Post a Comment
<< Home