Taking A Deep Breath
Okay, so Tuesday and Wednesday were terrible, and I am still carrying around a lot of ire. On the other hand, I've had some time to calm down and reflect and consider what to do next. As others have pointed out, it's not the end of the world. There's a lot of work to be done, and it's time to start thinking locally. Considering that a crazy anti-immigrant law just passed (although legal challenges are already in the works) while a number of public school bonds didn't, there are some pretty clear places to start working on making at least Tucson a better place, despite the current presidency. In the meantime, we can figure out what to do next time around.
There was another unhappy development in our lives this week. Little Cleo is going to have to go to a new home. When we first brought Cleo in as a foster about a year ago, she and Bess seemed to get along fine, which is why we decided to keep her. Then Bess, for reasons that are still unclear, turned into a complete bully to Cleo. Two trainers, three types of medication, and a lot of time and effort on our part have not been able to effect a permanent solution. Of course I feel like complete crap for giving up a dog. But I think it's more selfish to keep Cleo just so I don't have to feel bad about myself, when she's going to either be subject to injury or cooped up for her own safety. That's not a fun life for a dog, and she deserves better. She's young, healthy, cute, and really friendly. I don't think it will be hard to place her. And she's never attached to us the way Bess did. (When we picked her up after a recent vacation, she was more interested in flirting with the kennel staff than in running to greet us.) She likes us, but she likes everybody. I think it will take us longer to get over Cleo than she will take to get over us. I'll grant you, she can be spazzy, but she's a complete sweetheart and she should have a happy home.
So, it's been a rough week. Tonight, I'm whipping up a batch of beer-infused catfish and some collards. Comfort food should help. Next week, it's back to my normal routine, as much as possible. Happy weekend, all.


3 Comments:
Very sorry to hear about Cleo. Hope you both have some better days soon.
Thanks. It's been an enourmous drag on my mental resources. First it was fine, then it wasn't, then it seemed fixed, then it wasn't, then we tried again and again and again, and then the new trainer made suggestions like 'you should whack Bess with a leash' because historically hitting dogs leads them to be so obidient and kind.
Bess is smart and generally a great dog, and we've taught her many things since we adopted her years ago. Now she is old and cranky and absolutely refuses to learn better when it comes to Cleo. Very upsetting. The rescue people should get Cleo's info up online this weekend and then we wait and see how long it takes for someone to get interested. As adorable as Cleo is (and as few problems as she now has), it shouldn't take long.
I'm so sorry about your dog. Every time we see a picture for a homeless kitty, I want to adopt it, but we're sort of afraid Pierre would be a total ass to a new cat.
Post a Comment
<< Home