Claudia's Garden Journal and Assorted Thoughts

Monday, November 01, 2004

Weekend Update

It was a fair weekend in the Old Pueblo. Autumn is really here, so it was actually a nice chore to weed and trim in the front yard in anticipation of the passels of cute kids who came to the door last night. Tested out a recipe that passed, and it will make an appearance at the upcoming Thanksgiving feast. Details on foodalicious.

Watched some flicks. Netflixed '50 First Dates' on a friend's recommendation, bringing the total number of Adam Sandler films I've seen to a whopping two, both of which co-started Drew Barrymore. Like 'Wedding Singer' it was cute and sweet. The ending was handled really nicely too, if you can relax and accept the nutty memory premise. I also caught all but the last 20 minutes or so (just couldn't stay up long enough) of Angels in America on HBO. I had to chuckle at the angry reviews on Amazon from people who bought/rented the DVD because it had an angel on the box and were not prepared for the content. Anyway, some parts were good. Al Pacino is almost always fabulous, so long as he's not being cast as a Latino, and the scenes between his reprehensible dying big-shot attorney and his sassy black nurse are very well done. The scenes with the actual angel are more awkward, and perhaps worked much better when this was a stage production and you would have seen the whole thing form a distance; the lighting used to make Emma Thompson look otherworldly mostly makes it look like she needs to tell her hairdresser to chill with the highlights. Mostly well-acted, mediocre in parts, I'm not sure if I would recommend it or not.

In the meantime, I am just trying not to think too hard about tomorrow, and the possible fall-out from tomorrow, and how very, very disappointed I am with about half of my fellow citizens right now. And in an attempt to drive me absolutely overboard, NPR is talking to one of these abstinence-only 'education' people, which .... no!. Must switch ITunes streams...

Yes! Our local community radio station just played "Trying" from Has Been. Love that station. Ahh.

Hmm.... may have to break out the original Sims and check out their voting machines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home