Claudia's Garden Journal and Assorted Thoughts

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Recent Happenings

GoodMorning1 On Saturday Fiona and I headed to the park to meet up with the Tucson Moms group. We got there early and after randomly running into our pediatrician by the zoo entrance, Fiona watched the bigger kids feed ducks while I got to converse with other moms. It was nice.

My new yoga regimen is fantastic. Much better than a gym membership. For one thing, I actually go.

It's a Canadian thing, courtesy of Doppleganger. It's Freedom to Read Week up north, and since Talk of the Nation just got done chatting with the author of a pre-teen book that contained the word --gasp-- scrotum, it seemed timely to check out their list of banned books. It doesn't say who banned them or when, but I've read 50 of them. (Not all of which I'm proud of. I mean, the Earth's Children series? I was 13 once, what can I say.) But I still remember that when I was young, my mother mentioned that many banned books are banned because they have something interesting to say. Otherwise, they wouldn't piss people off so much. Of course, that still doesn't explain how Clan of the Cave Bear made the list.

1 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger fahrenheit451moderator said...

I just wanted to clarify that the list of books is of banned and challenged books and that they are not necessarily challenged in Canada. Canada is not big on banning books but there are some challenges in schools. I will be posting a list collected by the Canadian Library association in 2006. To find out why some of these books have been challenged, you can check http://www.freedomtoread.ca or the American Library Association's web page. There are lots of links on our page to lists that include the reasons why they were challenged. For our list, if you can find the view that shows "comments" on our LibraryThing, I have included some of the reasons. Thanks for taking the challenge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home