TV Time (And a Rant)
It was nice to have Gilmore Girls return this week. I've also started to catch the reruns on the Family Channel. I know the back story, but it's still fun to watch the old episodes. This week's episode suffered from some of the most overblown previews I've ever seen for any show. Luke has a deep dark terrible secret which might blow his relationship with Lorelai apart. His secret? He like to take a day for quiet reflection on the day of his father's death. Seriously, that's Luke's big skeleton in the closet? Oh my god, Lorelai, just marry the man now.
The O.C. as usual, just goes gallumping forward. It always cracks me up to read on the TWOP forums people complaining that the stories move too fast. This strikes me as an incredibly dumb complaint. Honestly? I do not need four more episodes of Ryan and Lindsey making goo-goo eyes at each other or eight more episodes of will-they-get-back-together tension with Marissa. I'd much rather the show get on with the hyjinx. If people want drawn-out, overwrought teen drama then I'm sure the WB has something that will work for them. I'm happy with the fast-paced sudsy goodness. And I really want to know why Zach punches Cohen next week.
And while we're on the subject of teenage drama.... can anyone be surprised that these abominable abstinence-only programs are spreading misinformation? A Congressional report finds that only 2 out of 13 of the most -used programs are accurate. What a surprise that something pushed by the Bush Administration is a mess of misinformation! How can people think this is a good idea, seriously? This strikes me as about as wise as letting little Billy learn the facts of life from that skeevy older boy in the grade above him. I'm going to restrain myself from a full-on rant about this. My mother has been a social worker for 25 years, so I've heard every consequence you can imagine from ignorance about sex. I've worked with high school students that have multiple children. I myself went to high school with a girl who, always with a straight-face, claimed to have gotten pregnant after being raped by a ghost. Lack of education helps no one. Sars, as is often the case, says it better than I can.


1 Comments:
Honestly, the rage I feel about the recent attacks on choice, women's health, and education cannot be effectively expressed in words.
I have zero problem with programs that encourage abstinence as part of a comprehensive health and sex education lesson plan; I think that's entirely appropriate. But what is the point of a class or program that doesn't educate them? We're funding programs that basically finger-wag and top it off with complete falsehoods!?!
I too would like to see Ryan stay out of fights. I wonder if/when we'll hear from Teresa again.
Post a Comment
<< Home