Claudia's Garden Journal and Assorted Thoughts

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Assorted Thoughts

It was a nice, relaxing weekend in the Old Pueblo. Did some spring cleaning. Found a dress to wear to Gina’s wedding. Mailed paperwork to get my passport updated. I’m heading across the pond on business next month, then heading back to Tucson via Mississippi so I can see my dear friend Gina tie the knot. That’s going to be some serious sky time for me in May. Apparently, in England we will be staying in some sort of pub/hotel in the middle of nowhere with no television, internet access, or reliable heat in the rooms. While this might be fun if I were on vacation with a loved one, looking to relax and unwind, considering that I am there on business with coworkers, I would so much rather stay at the Marriot off the highway. Oh well. If anyone has book recommendations, let me know, ‘cause I’m going to need a stack. I’m flailing to try to find something good these days, and even Amazon has given up; from 20 on, my book recommendations are all Buffy episode guides. I'm currently reading The Kite Runner, as recommended by Ken's lovely wife Yvonne. It's great, but I'm out of ideas when I finish it off.

I did indeed decided to invest in a couple of rose bushes this weekend. They are just so darn pretty. Mesquite Valley released their roses this weekend. I arrived early on Sunday morning, because I wanted to browse in relative privacy. I picked up a pale purple and a deep, black-red rose. Going to try to get them planted this week. More veggies too, and a cantaloupe plant. I need to pick a weekend and proceed to hack away at the overgrown pyrocanthia. I just need to be prepared for a few scratches, because that thing is seriously thorny.

Finally got around to watching I heart Huckabees this weekend. Netflix shipped it a while back, but this was the first weekend I felt in the mood for existential detectives. My reaction was pretty much ‘Well. huh. Neat.’ It was just kinda nifty, a fun nothing story. I enjoyed it overall. It was different, but in an amusing and not overly pretentious way.

3 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some reading suggestions

1) `The Time of Our Singing' by Richard Powers. A friend of ours strongly recommended it. Yvonne has finished it and is recommending it to everyone. I've just started it.

2) `Atonement' by Ian McEwan. Yvonne puts this in her top 5 all-time.

3) On the lighter side, you may want to check out a series by Alexander McCall Smith about a female detective in Botswana. It's light reading, very enjoyable, with good insights into human nature. The first one is called `The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.'

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. A pub/hotel in the middle of nowhere, on a trip with co-workers. Sounds like you're going to deserve combat pay.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

Apparently I was misinformed about the TVs. I checked the bare-bones website for the motel, and they list TVs in every room. So at least I will have something I can do that does not involve my coworkers. Not that they aren't all lovely people, etc, etc. But sometimes, one needs a break.

Thanks for the suggestions, Ken. I remember you and a few others talking up the Detective Agency books, and those have popped off and on the recs list. I may give that a try.

Thought about Atonement a while back, then changed my mind. Perhaps I will change it again, given how much I'm enjoying Yvonne's last suggestion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home