Claudia's Garden Journal and Assorted Thoughts

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Assorted Thoughts for Thursday

I am sleepy, excited, and hungry. I am like a kid on Christmas Eve about the sonogram. I am giddy at the idea of seeing baby. My coworkers have been really sweet lately, asking after my health, giving unthreatening advice, and demanding we start a baby registery so they can throw me a shower.

I got an early birthday present from a relative in the form of this Southern Living Quick and Easy Cookbook. This present is either perfect or evil, depending on how you look at it. Because my cravings? Are for exactly this sort of home food. Smoother it in gravy! Season everything with bacon! The first recipe in the book is for chicken-friend steak which I don't think I have ever encountered outside a cafeteria, yet the idea of deep-frying a cube steak and teaming it with white gravy, mashed potatoes, and okra seasoned with pig fat just sounds like the best god damn idea ever. I also broke down and bought of tub of strawberry cheesecake ice cream at the grocery store last night. I really need to slow down. And get my pregnant self back to the gym.

I'll be doing holiday baking this weekend, which I'm looking forward to. My shopping is pretty much done and the house is starting to look a little festive. Next step: cards, which reminds me, I need everyone's updated addresses, please.

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Taylor said...

On the subject of pork goodness:

Last night I cooked a pork tenderloin. But that isn't the interesting part (even though it was quite tasty). We had some bacon that needed to be either thrown away or used, and Carrie said I could only eat it if I used it in something. So, since we had a bag of fresh black eyes sitting in the fridge, I decided it was time for some tasty black eyed peas.

I sliced up the bacon, rendered, sautéed some onions and garlic in the bacon, deglazed it with some Warsteiner Dunkel, and then added the beans (and the requisite Tony's) and the let it cook for a little while.

Porkin' yummy!

Sorry, I felt this was the right place to share.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

Yum, indeed, that sounds like the kind of thing I'm increasingly craving now. I'm not giving in to the urge that often, but my gravy intake has gone up significantly since baby blipped on the radar :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home